Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Music punctuating the ends of TV episodes

I am a sucker for this stuff. Someone (many someones) has the job of picking just the right song to play over the (now clichéd?) montage of images that tend to close TV episodes these days. I personally love it, so don’t get me wrong. I have discovered artists I would never have known otherwise, in this way. I distinctly remember an episode of Nip/Tuck (yes, I used to watch it) where a haunting melody and lyric underscored whatever was happening onscreen; turned out to be “Natasha” by Rufus Wainwright. Now, many people would say “You were clueless about Rufus Wainwright?” and yes, I guess I was. I knew of him, knew that he is the progeny of Loudon and one of the McGarrigle sisters, knew he was the topic of the song “Rufus is a Tit Man” but never had heard him perform. Now I am a big fan.

I am so grateful for Googling – the way to find the titles and artists for these songs that haunt me, among other things of course! The latest one to send me to the computer and web is from a recent episode of Stargate Universe; I’ve now downloaded “Sort of Revolution” by Fink. Fink? Who knew?! What else was I intrigued by recently? A band called Mumford & Sons has a “hit” with a song called “Little Lion Man,” which doesn’t do a lot for me, but “Sigh No More” was played at the end of a show I can’t even remember now – wait, also Stargate Universe! Who knew that Stargate Universe would be so cool with songs??

No comments: